Preschool Open House Tour: August 26, 2019 from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.
Preschool Back to School Night: September 24, 2019, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Benefits of Expanding the Pre-K Program to All Students
- Preschool Brochure
- Preschool Program Family Handbook
- Registration for Preschool/PreK Program for 2019-2020
Pre-K Expansion Benefits
● Researchers from Georgetown University have determined through long term
studies that, “students who were in Pre-K years earlier have higher math test
scores, are more likely to enroll in honors courses, and are noticeably less likely to
have been retained in grade.”
● The CT State Department of Education notes that, “Pre-K experience promotes
social-emotional competence and prepares students for the kindergarten classroom
environment. Social-emotional competence is critical for children’s readiness for
school and early school adjustment.”
● The benefits of a universal Pre-K program are widely recognized as providing a solid
foundation for learning and for providing long term benefits to students’ academic
● Research has shown that when it comes to successful Pre-K programs, “the
long-term benefits exceed the short-term costs by at least two to one.” Early
intervention has been proven to reduce expenses for future remedial services.
● The Board of Education wishes to ensure all children are provided an equitable
opportunity to be best prepared to begin their academic career.
● The district has been planning for this expansion for a number of years and has
coordinated this around LEARN’s departure from Center School. Capitalizing on this
opportunity, included in the budget is a one time expense of $180,000 for classroom
renovations, which falls well within our allotted amount for yearly capital projects.
● Despite a relatively flat enrollment trend for next year, the proposed budget
includes a slight reduction in certified staff members to address the need for fewer
sections at Mile Creek. This makes the expansion of Pre-K appropriately timed and
allows the district to maintain all existing programs across all curricular areas.
● This program helps support the retention of high quality educators in the areas of
art, music, and physical education which would be seeing further reductions
without these additional Pre- K classrooms.
● The expansion of this program benefits our already strong school system, thereby
increasing the desirability of our communities. That, in turn, increases real estate
values and drives student enrollment.
● Increased student enrollment allows the schools to continue to offer award winning
programs without having to reduce opportunities for students.
● Our existing program uses the Connecticut Early Learning and Development
Standards (ELDS) as the basis for its curriculum that balances social-emotional
development and academic readiness.
● The estimated budgetary cost of each additional Pre-K student is $8,600 which is
well below our average per pupil expenditure (PK-12).
● Due to lack of space, an average of 37 students per year (which includes an average
of 18 four year olds per year) have been turned away from our current program.
● Accepting tuition students from out-of-town will help fund the program and draw
families to our communities. The tuition for non-residents will be $10,000.
Registration Information for Preschool/PreK Program for 2019-2020
To be eligible for the four-year-old Pre-K program, your child must turn four years old on or before January 1, 2020.
Parents interested in the three-year-old Preschool program, should contact Jill Pilgrim (contact information below) regarding enrollment through our lottery process.
Program runs Monday through Friday: 8:50 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Forms Required to Register for the Preschool/PreK Program
(forms can also be mailed to you upon request (call Jill Pilgrim at 860-434-0487 x3602) OR
picked up at the Central Office (49 Lyme Street in Old Lyme)
Guide to the Student Registration Process
Pupil Registration Form / Emergency Contact Information Form / Medical/Insurance Information Form
Residency Affidavit for New Enrollments (not required for non-resident enrollments)
Residency Affidavit for Students Without a Permanent Address
Questionnaire for McKinney-Vento Homeless Act (for determining residency)
Home Language Survey
Potassium Iodide (KI) Student Medication Authorization Form and related information
Millstone Power Station Readiness Plan (informational only)
Information Sources in the Lyme-Old Lyme Public Schools (informational only)
Note: when registering a new student, a copy of the student's birth certificate will be made, and evidence that the student's immunizations are up to date is required. New registrants must provide documentation on the appropriate State of Connecticut Health Assessment Record form of a physical exam that has taken place within 1 year of starting school (see links to forms below).
Medical Forms Required for Preschool/PreK Registration
Letter to Parents/Guardians of Incoming Preschool Students from School Nurse Coordinator
Medical Requirements for all Students
State of CT Early Childhood Health Assessment Record (for Pre-K physicals)
Authorization for the Administration of Medication by School Personnel (must be signed by the prescribing doctor)
Emergency Epinephrine Administration to Students Who May Be Exhibiting Signs of Severe Allergic Reaction
Additional Forms for Non-Residents of Lyme or Old Lyme
Policy 2420 Enrollment of Nonresident Students (Please complete Letter of Understand and Agreement)
Nonresident Student Contract (note: tuition is due the first of every month - ten equal payments September - June)
Does Your Child Have Health Insurance?
FORMS SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE SPECIAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Via email to Jill Pilgrim, firstname.lastname@example.org
- OR -
Special Services Department
Lyme-Old Lyme Schools
49 Lyme Street
Old Lyme, CT 06371
- OR -
in person to Jill Pilgrim between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at address above.
***** REGISTRATION IS ONGOING *****
|Many of the forms linked to this page are Adobe PDF files.
You can download free software which reads them from Adobe's website: Get Adobe Reader